QMI disconnection errors detection in Netgear AC341U

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Sep 6 07:44:48 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-09-05 at 22:26 +0200, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> The Netgear AC341U is a QMI device that comes with autoconnect
>> enabled (and disabling it doesn't look possible, firmware may even
>> crash and power cycle itself). I suspect that due to autoconnect
>> being enabled, the packet service indications aren't sent as we
>> expect them, in particular to detect network initiated
>> disconnections.
>
> Instead, could we hook up eQMI_WDS_GET_MODEM_STATUS and the
> eQMI_WDS_MODEM_IND indicator or something and watch
> sWDSModemStatusReportIndication_Status to see if we're already
> connected or when we get disconnected?  Maybe it sends that indication
> instead of packet service status for the NDIS autoconnect or something.
>  Worth a look perhaps.
>
> It's just that we could get call failures from so many places and
> checking them all seems icky...

Well, not that many really, the only place where we actively and
periodically check something from the data connection is when loading
stats. And the only other step after StartNetwork before saying we're
connected is GetCurrentSettings.

But I agree that I should try to enable as many WDS event reports as
possible and see if any of them tells us anything, will try that in
the next days.

The "correct" solution here anyway would be to support the
autoconnected setup somehow, e.g. creating a bearer automatically on
boot when we detect autoconnect is enabled (even if not yet
connected!). This is something we should look at more carefully, as we
could then include in MM a lot more modems that we currently don't
include (e.g. huawei hilink managed via the HTTP API).