qmi-firmware-update mc7455

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Sep 11 16:56:37 UTC 2017

Hey!

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 6:48 PM, Nathaniel Haggard <natester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes that's correct, no udev because of LEDE, but I'm in favor of way way way
> simpler and less error prone.
>
> After setting the preferences like help recommends, I was able to switch to
> verizon once, and failed all the other times with "error: error creating
> device: unexpected response received in dload sdp: 0x70"
>
> This is what I'm doing:
>
> qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0
> --dms-set-firmware-preference="02.24.05.06,002.034_000,VERIZON"
> qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-set-operating-mode=offline
> qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-set-operating-mode=reset
> read -p "when /dev/ttyUSB0 is available press enter"
> /etc/init.d/modemmanager stop
> qmi-firmware-update -t /dev/ttyUSB0 --update-qdl SWI9X30C_02.24.05.06.cwe
> SWI9X30C_02.24.05.06_VERIZON_002.034_000.nvu

Are you waiting for the modem to reboot itself before checking whether
the /dev/ttyUSB0 appears?
And, are you making sure that *only* a /dev/ttyUSB0 appears
(indication that it's in boot and hold mode).
Again, the "unexpected response received in dload sdp: 0x70" would
look like you're sending a QDL command to a non-QDL tty.

If you are trying to re-flash a given firmware image and you just send
--dms-set-firmware-preference and reboot it may happen that the modem
detects that it already has that image stored and won't reboot in boot
and hold mode (the --dms-set-firmware-preference would have tell you
some comment about that).

If you were using the udev-based build of qmi-firmware-update you
could force the reflash of an image that may have already been stored
by adding "--override-download" to the "--update" command, but looks
like there's no way to specify that option in qmicli
--dms-set-firmware-preference manually.

> To make it automatic maybe I should poll dmesg, unless there is a better
> way.

Or, improve qmi-firmware-update to get reported of hotplug events with
custom /etc/hotplug.d/tty scripts ;)