modemmanager disconnects and not able to reestablish connection

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Aug 3 15:05:33 UTC 2018

Hey,

> I have a situation where my modem (Huawei K5160) is disconnected and I
> can not reconnect to the network.
> After disconnecting I tried to reconnect via simple-connect. It says it
> reconnected correctly but e.g. I can not ping google.
>
> Maybe because it says:
> uplink: '0' bps
> downlink: '0' bps
> but I do not know for sure.
>
> Does anyone know why it gets disconnected in the first place?

That looks like a network-initiated disconnection. We're notified by
the network of the disconnection and then it's up to us to restart the
reconnection.

I see the new reconnection attempt succeeds in your logs, which means
that the only thing left to have proper connectivity would be to setup
the IP settings reported by the modem in the wwan network interface.
Are you manually doing that?

Maybe you're also using NetworkManager along with ModemManager? If
that's the case you should reconnect using NM (e.g. via nmcli) not
with mmcli --simple-connect. NM will take care of configuring the
network interface in that case.