[review v2] New 'fibocom' plugin (with a new Intel XMM modem class)

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Aug 8 15:14:43 UTC 2018

>> I've now pushed an updated MR to suggest the Fibocom plugin, this time
>> including a new "Icera-like" Intel XMM chipset detection. If the modem
>> is found to be based on Intel XMM, supporting the "AT+X.." commands,
>> then we will use them for things like mode switching. This updated MR
>> includes mode/band selection as well as additional power related
>> operations like "off" or "reset".
>>
>> The new XMM-specific operations are implemented in a "MMSharedXmm"
>> interface, which is used by both the MMBroadbandXmm and
>> MMBroadbandMbimXmm objects.
>>
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/merge_requests/12
>>
>> Comments?
>
> IIRC, Huawei ME936 is based on Intel XMM7160, but implements a
> different set of AT commands that align mostly with other Huawei
> modems. If you have such a modem, you may want to check if those AT+X*
> commands exist and behave as expected.  I may be able to find one to
> test and will let you know.

u-blox also does basically the same thing, they're based on Intel XMM
modems but they provide custom AT commands on top (e.g. UACT and URAT
instead of XACT, or UCALLSTAT instead of XCALLSTAT). This generic XMM
implementation could be applied to all modems that don't provide
customized AT commands instead of the original Intel AT+X commands.