[review] Reset, Capabilities/Modes and Bands management in shared QMI logic

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Aug 21 20:04:07 UTC 2018

Hey,

The following MR includes support for reset actions (reset, factory
reset), modes/capabilities management and bands management in the
shared QMI logic, so reused by both QMI and QMI-over-MBIM capable
devices.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/merge_requests/30

There is an important logic change in this MR related to how "lte" and
"gsm-umts" capabiliites are managed. Until know, the only way to have
e.g. 4G only setup using the MM APIs would be by selecting "lte"
capability only, and that would require a device reset, because
changing capabilities requires a reset (as it may change the list of
exposed interfaces if e.g. CDMA interface is lost or added when
lte-only is selected in a cdma-evdo+lte device). With this new MR, a
device that is "lte+gsm-umts" would not allow capabilities switching,
but would allow the same operation as a mode selection (e.g.
"4G-only"). The benefit is that we don't require a device reset in
this case, as we don't change capabiliities. The only devices for
which we allow selecting and updating capabilities would be those with
mixed cdma-evdo+gsm-umts(+lte), where we would allow e.g. making it
cdma-evdo(+lte) or gsm-umts(+lte).