USB Modem 'PolicyMismatch' after USB cable disconnection

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Aug 27 09:08:25 UTC 2018

Hoola Ana,

> Modem: PHS8-P MC1213690-TERM-GPS Rel. 3.001
>
> Testing versions:
>
> network-manager 1.6.2-3 amd64
> modemmanager 1.6.4-1 amd6
>
> The problem was not present with network-manager 0.8.6 and modemmanager
> 0.6.0.
>

> The modem is Activated at the beginning. I disconnect the USB cable and
> connect it again. The modem becomes registered.
>
> If I try to connect, it fails and becomes registered again. Error is:
> 'error: couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (79):
> 'PolicyMismatch''. No matters how many times I retry.

No real idea why this is happening. The only thing I could think of is
that the network is refusing to reconnect the default LTE bearer if
the devices wasn't un-registered properly. But not sure how to avoid
that.

When it gets in the loop of PolicyMismatch errors, could you try to
manually run a full airplane mode cycle, so that there is at least one
successful unregistration from the network? If you're using
MM+NetworkManager you could do "sudo nmcli radio wwan off", wait some
seconds, and then "sudo nmcli radio wwan on" again.