ModemManager SMS Delivery State

Andrea Schäfer andrea.schaefer at puri.sm
Mon Dec 17 13:14:51 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I wrote a protocol plugin for libpurple, that interfaces with
ModemManager via DBUS. Sending and receiving SMS works fine so far, but
I'm struggling with getting the status for sent SMS.

The SMS are created with 'delivery-report-request' = TRUE. Now I have
difficulties to find a way to pull the 'DeliveryState' when an SMS has
been sent.

When I read the 'DeliveryState' property in the "Send" callback handler,
the value is always 256. But it should rather be 0 or 1 for successful
delivery.

Apart from the exact DeliveryState, I wonder if the callback trigger
confirms a successful delivery to the SMSC already?

Here is a link to the plugin:

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/purple-mm-sms

Thanks in advance for some hints and ideas on how to approach a solution.

Cheers,
Andrea