Setting up 4G in D-Link DWM-222 (was Re: 4G USB dongles known to work on Linux)

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Mar 5 09:34:15 UTC 2018

Hey,

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Henrique Ferreiro
<henrique.ferreiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everybody for all answers. I checked the dd-wrt wiki page and finally
> went for the D-Link DWM-222 (there weren't much more options to buy from
> local retailers).
>
> I have a few questions regarding ModemManager after testing this modem for a
> while. I managed to connect almost with no manual intervention but 4G
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> First thing, to test 4G I had to use "mmcli -m 0
> --set-current-capabilities=lte" and realise it wouldn't connect. Is there
> any other way to check 4G status? "nmcli c" displayed the connection type as
> "gsm", but I would expect connection errors in ModemManager's journal or
> some way to do this using "mmcli".
>
> Second, can you help debug why I cannot setup 4G in this particular modem?

The "gsm" connection type name in NetworkManager is misleading. We use
"gsm" to refer to all 3GPP connection types (e.g. GSM, GPRS, EDGE,
UMTS, HSPA, LTE...).
What is the output of "mmcli -m 0" when you have the modem connected?
You shouldn't have needed to --set-current-capabilities.