Setting up 4G in D-Link DWM-222 (was Re: 4G USB dongles known to work on Linux)

Henrique Ferreiro henrique.ferreiro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:53:46 UTC 2018

El jue., 8 mar. 2018 a las 10:15, Aleksander Morgado (<
aleksander at aleksander.es>) escribió:

> >> Well, that means you're connected in LTE :)
> >

> > That makes sense :-) I got confused by very slow connection rates.
> Anyway,
> > is it expected not to connect when changing the current capabilities to
> lte
> > only?
> >

> If you change the capabilities to lte-only, it should also connect
> correctly. Is it not the case?

It doesn't connect. The journal has these messages repeated several times:

<info>  Simple connect started...
<info>  Simple connect state (4/8): Wait to get fully enabled
<info>  Simple connect state (5/8): Register
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] No transaction matched in received message

> I have an additional problem. I have two SIM cards from different network
> > providers but the modem is connected to any of those without matching the
> > correct provider. May this be due to a limitation of the modem driver
> which
> > cannot read the relevant data from the SIM card? I noticed this info in
> the
> > journal:
> >
> > ModemManager[1880]: <warn>  couldn't load Operator identifier: 'Couldn't
> get
> > home network: QMI protocol error (16): 'NotProvisioned''
> > ModemManager[1880]: <warn>  couldn't load Operator name: 'Couldn't get
> home
> > network: QMI protocol error (16): 'NotProvisioned''
> > ModemManager[1880]: <warn>  couldn't load list of Own Numbers: 'Couldn't
> get
> > MSISDN: QMI protocol error (16): 'NotProvisioned''
> >

> That looks like the info is missing in the SIM card? Which operators
> are these again?

I tried both with a data-only SIM from R and a standard mobile phone SIM
from Movistar. I don't think it's related to the SIM card. Could it be a
problem with the driver? I also noticed these lines earlier in the journal:

<warn>  couldn't load IMSI: 'Couldn't get UIM IMSI: QMI protocol error
(37): 'UimUninitialized''
<warn>  couldn't load Operator identifier: 'Couldn't get home network: QMI
protocol error (37): 'UimUninitialized''
<warn>  couldn't load Operator name: 'Couldn't get home network: QMI
protocol error (37): 'UimUninitialized''
<warn>  couldn't load list of Own Numbers: 'Couldn't get MSISDN: QMI
protocol error (37): 'UimUninitialized''

> --
> Aleksander
> https://aleksander.es

Henrique