[ublox] A problem with the network connection over LTE on TOBY-L2

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Nov 5 08:54:34 UTC 2018

On 11/5/18 9:02 AM, Ulrich Mohr wrote:
> I am facing this problem, too (see https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2018-August/006633.html).
>
> I addressed that problem by changing the modem manager logic to set the default bearer using the UCGDFLT command whenever a the bearer changes. This seems to work reasonably (with the drawback as described in the thread linked above). I am still testing this, since I am not yet sure that this really does the job.
>

> @Aleksander, concerning your planned implementation. You wrote in the thread above:
>
> This should be some API that is totally independent from the connection process I think.
>
> It is not clear to me how this will work: I don't get any connection not using the UCGDFLT command, so if a bearer is set, this needs to be result somehow in the UCGDFLT command. So how can this be independent from the connection process? If someone sets the APN, e.g. via the Network Manager, the UCGDFLT command must be issued, otherwise it will not work...

Yes, I'm planning to add this as a new API, a new way to be able to manage the initial default LTE attach bearer. The user will be able to use this API when the module is in low-power mode only (e.g. CFUN=4) and the idea is that it will setup the bearer details as we currently do during connection (e.g. APN, user, pass...). I'm probably going to suggest that we automatically create a bearer object upon boot if the module allows to manage the initial default LTE attach bearer settings (e.g. u-blox and MBIM at least).

Upon connection from e.g. NM, MM will check whether the requested settings (APN, ip-type...) match the ones from the default LTE attach bearer, and if they do, MM will report that the modem is connected right away without trying to create and connect a different context. This is already more or less what the u-blox plugin does. And when disconnecting the connection, if it was the initial default LTE bearer, we'll just report disconnection without touching the actual bearer in the modem (as that would probably return an error). This procedure is IIRC what Microsoft suggests in the MBIM extensions that allow this kind of management, see:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/mb-lte-attach-operations