Automatic APN

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Nov 15 08:46:16 UTC 2018

Hey,

> My engineering team has been looking at implementing automatic APN detection and I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has thoughts on where(MM/NM) or if this would belong.
>
> We're looking at using the Android APN/carrier lookup table via MCC/MNC & IMEI.
> https://android.googlesource.com/device/sample/+/master/etc/apns-full-conf.xml
>
> We've got to do it, I'd like it to go open-source if it can be done without too much hackyness. Thoughts?

We already have our own database here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mobile-broadband-provider-info/blob/master/serviceproviders.xml

This database is used e.g. when creating a new network connection for
a modem via NetworkManager, it allows the user to select which APN to
use based on the SIM card MCCMNC. Beware, not IMEI, that would be very
wrong!!!

We don't have an "automatic" selection procedure, because multiple APN
configurations may match the same MCCMNC, so which one would you use?