Configuration for Quectel 3G and 4G modem

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) brendan.simon at etrix.com.au
Mon Oct 15 06:28:03 UTC 2018

I have a linux filesystem (Debian based) for an embedded board which
uses a Quectel UC20 3G modem via NetworkManager/ModemManager.

I want to upgrade to use a Quectel EC21 4G modem and want to know if I
can use the same "system-connections" configuration file for both
modems.  e.g. so that same software can run on new and old hardware - or
do I have to have separate config/connection files for each modem?

My 3G configuration looks like this:

    id=telstra-mobile-broadband-1
    uuid=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
    type=gsm
    permissions=user:root:;
    autoconnect=true

    [gsm]
    number=*99#
    password-flags=1
    apn-telstra.extranet

    [ipv4]
    method=auto

    [serial]
    baud=115200

Should this same config file work with a 4G modem (EC21) ?

Can I have the one configuation file that will work on 4G and 3G (e.g.
if only 3G is available).  I'm *assuming* yes.  If so, how to configure it.

And 3G fallback also.  Is there anything special I need to do in
configuration, or will ModemManager just wield its magic.

Thanks,
Brendan.