Disconnect on Data Transfer

Karoly Pados kp at tec4data.at
Sun Apr 14 21:23:02 UTC 2019

Hi John,

I strongly advise you to lower your MTU to 1280. We used to have similar problems as yours, where normal operational traffic worked fine, but whenever there were larger transfers, packets wouldn't arrive anymore. It turned out our problem was the MTU. When data chunks were smaller than the recommended MTU value (most of the time since our application involves transferring mostly sensor data), things worked fine, but everything else got dropped. As soon as we limited our MTU, all our problems were solved.

Unlike your case, I don't think we had disconnections like you mention, only serious packet loss. But from your mails it seems your MTU is not limited to 1280, so this is going to be another problem in your setup for sure. So I just wanted to chip in to help you eliminate at least one of your troubles. And who knows, maybe your disconnections are related after all (only one way to find out).

So why limit your MTU to 1280? Because AT&T for some stupid reason set up their network to drop packets larger than that, and by experience I can tell you they are enforcing this rule.

Greetings,

Karoly