Sierra Wireless EM7565 DHCP and Static bearers

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Dec 10 09:29:20 UTC 2019

Hey!

> I'm currently working with the Sierra Wireless EM7565 modem, and my
> problem is that the bearer is always set to static in ModemManager, yet
> I wish for it to be DHCP. Can this be changed so that the EM7565
> defaults to DHCP and not static?
>
> I notice in the 'plugins' folder of the code, a number of vendors have
> DHCP conditionals, but Sierra does not. Is there a reason for this?

The "static" setting in the EM7565 running in QMI mode is only because
the modem is being managed in "raw-ip" mode (i.e. network interface
doesn't use Ethernet headers). ModemManager defaults to static
settings in this case because there aren't many DHCP clients that can
use network interfaces of that kind. From a user point of view,
though, this shouldn't be an issue at all, the IP settings you're
asked to use in the "static" setup would be the same ones given by the
DHCP server running in the modem.