Huawei ME909s-120 modem goes offline and disappears

Bruno Vetter bruno.vetter at outlook.com
Thu Dec 19 19:47:36 UTC 2019

> Would you be able to draft a MM patch doing that?

Well-l-l...

I like to be challenged. Last time I coded in C is 20 years ago and I never contributed to open source. I might check out the sources and try to understand some basics over the next weeks, but cannot promise anything.

Apart from that: I had reproduced the issue with disappearing modem about 10 times now. I was always able to recover by issuing

systemctl restart ModemManager.service

and everything worked fine. I also had the impression that the primary port had somehow recovered by then.

One more question:
I found the following in the Huawei doc. When you talk about primary/secondary port, are we actually talking about Modem port/Uart port? Are they exchangeable?

The ME909s provides four ports to interact with its host:
 MODEM port: simulated using USB, for AT command interaction and establishing data connection.
Port name: HUAWEI Mobile Connect-3G Modem
 PCUI port: simulated using USB, for AT command interaction only.
Port name: HUAWEI Mobile Connect-3G PCUI Interface
 UART port: physical serial port, for AT command interaction and establishing data connection.
 ECM port: simulated using USB, for establishing communication connection. Port name: CDC Ethernet Control Model (ECM)
The ME909s also provides a port for debugging: