Huawei ME909s-120 modem goes offline and disappears

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Dec 27 21:09:21 UTC 2019

Hey,

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 2:25 PM Bruno Vetter <bruno.vetter at outlook.com> wrote:

> >> Could you edit the huawei port type rules file and add these three lines somewhere in the middle of the other rules?
> >> $ vim /lib/udev/rules.d/77-mm-huawei-net-port-types.rules
> >> SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{bInterfaceNumber}=="?*", ENV{.MM_USBIFNUM}="$attr{bInterfaceNumber}"
> >> ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="15c1", ENV{.MM_USBIFNUM}=="02", ENV{ID_MM_PORT_TYPE_PPP}="1"
> >> ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="15c1", ENV{.MM_USBIFNUM}=="04", ENV{ID_MM_PORT_TYPE_AT_PRIMARY}="1"
> >
> > I think you misspelled ID_MM_PORT_TYPE_PPP. Should it be named ID_MM_PORT_TYPE_AT_PPP?
> > I have changed the rules file and restarted mm and nm in debug mode. Waiting for disconnection issues.
>
> Hey Aleksander,
> after adding these rules, the problem seems gone. No issue with disconnecting and disabling the modem since 4 days.
> I have attached the debug logs.
>
> Could your explain a little about what the effect of these rules is?

Without those rules, MM just picks the same AT port for control and
data. With those rules, MM picks for data the port flagged as PPP and
for control the port flagged as primary, following the port types
specified by Huawei themselves.

Instead of adding those new udev rules in MM git sources, I've opened
this issue to track the port type hints support in a more generic way:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/issues/170