cross-compiling modemmanager?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Feb 20 17:08:38 UTC 2019

> to try out one or another patch, I like to compile modemmanager. My
> target systems are ARM (32 bits), so naturally I like to cross-compile
> it on a faster architecture. This worked well in the past (versions
> 0.5 and 0.6), but so far I fail with 1.10.
>
> It seems, that modemmanager needs gobject-introspection to build
> nowadays. However, according to this comment by Helmut Grohne, I'm in
> trouble there:
>
> > Anything that has gobject-introspection anywhere in
> > its Build-Depends (directly or indirectly), effectively is not cross
> > buildable on Debian.
> > If you need to do cross compilation on Debian,
> > avoid gnome-ish stuff.
> > ptxdist and
> > yocto use qemu for gobject-introspection.
>
> (https://bugs.debian.org/905715#30)
>
> Using qemu for cross-compilation is something I would like to avoid.
> Using it for a complete build is very slow and using it only for
> certain build steps makes the build process more complicated.
>
> Why or for what purpose is gobject-introspection used in modemmanager?
> Is there a realistic chance to leave out anything related to
> gobject-introspection when building modemmanager? Like in the good old
> times of 0.5/0.6? :-)

Can you try to configure using --disable-introspection?
The introspection support is exclusively just to allow e.g. python or
javascript programs to use the libmm-glib library through the built-in
gobject-introspection support. If you don't need this, you should be
able to leave it out of the compilation.