Sierra HL7692

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Mar 13 12:43:35 UTC 2019

Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> writes:
> Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
>
>>> I can even connect via --simple-connect. The problem is that
>>> NetworkManager always connects via pppd over the CDC-ACM port. I
>>> would have expected to establish the connection via one of the
>>> CDC-NCM ports (wwan0..4).
>>
>> ModemManager does not know how to use the cdc-ncm ports exposed by the
>> modem, the implementation is missing.
>> IIRC we had some attempt to implement this, and I even got some HL
>> modules sent by Sierra to me, but I'm missing the devkit to use them
>> :D
>
> I believe you can use a mangoh red as a devkit for HL modules if you
> like. Ref
> https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/mangoh-insert-hl-module-in-primary-socket/12130
>
> The mangoh red is relatively decent priced for a devkit.

FYI, I stumbled across this thread documenting how to enable the NCM
function(s):
https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/hl7692-linux-networking-activation/12371/2

Somebody still has to implement that as a plugin though... But I guess
it might be worth it if if works for NCM on other XMM7160 modems too?  I
don't remember if we ever got that flying?  The EM7345 I have does not
have a usable NCM config at all.

OK.... Googling a bit more brought me to this old discussion of an
Infineon plugin:
https://www.mail-archive.com/modemmanager-devel@lists.freedesktop.org/msg02985.html

That didn't lead anywhere, did it?  But the code is still there:
https://github.com/freedesktop/ModemManager/tree/paul/infineon/plugins/infineon
Maybe recycle it and see if it works for Sven and the HL7692?

Going with MBIM is definitely easier ;-)

Bjørn