Dell DW5821e (T77w968) does not work with OpenWRT

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Nov 8 10:33:02 UTC 2019

Hey,

> I's a long story.
> Recently i buyed this modem but it runs only on Windows10 Machines "out of the box" without any drivers installed (Plug And Play).
> I compiled Openwrt some days ago with the latest version together with Modemmanager (from github) but the modem will not recognized.
> Other modems e.g. MC7455 work flawlessly with ModemManager

Where did you buy this module from? An official Dell channel or
somewhere else like ebay?

The 3 USB configuration layout exposed by this module is a
pre-production one, used in engineering samples only if I'm not
mistaken. The official USB layout should have only 2 USB
configurations: #1 for QMI, #2 for MBIM.

Anyway, could it be that your openwrt setup doesn't have MBIM kernel
driver support? IIRC your USB configuration #3 should be MBIM and MM
should be able to use that.