hp-lt4132 'unavailable' in NetworkManager on Debian 10

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Sep 11 07:19:02 UTC 2019

Hey!

> thanks; the modem is plugged to the mainboard, so no simple plugging-in; instead, I did this
>
> $ mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect="apn=a1.net,user=ppp at a1plus.at,password=ppp"
> $ # sleep some time
> $ mmcli -m 0 --simple-disconnect

You should not use mmcli for anything, maybe that's the problem? If
you manually run mmcli like you did above, no other application is
going to setup the wwan network interface for you, that is totally
expected.

If you want to use NetworkManager (so that it's NM the one setting up
the network interface), you should create some WWAN modem settings for
NetworkManager (e.g. using System Settings in GNOME, or whatever other
desktop you use). Once the settings have been set up, you should be
able to connect/disconnect the modem using nmcli (not mmcli) and/or
using your desktop network settings control.