Correct connection sequence to maximize chances of e.g.: getting connected :)

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Wed Apr 22 15:31:32 UTC 2020

On 22/04/2020 15:07, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
>> What's the best strategy to connect a modem as per user configuration when we "get" one visible in ModemManager?
> Using NetworkManager? NM takes care of all that process, keeping the
> connection settings as NM profiles. Is this not working for you?

My experience has been that you can delete settings from NM, but the
modem will remember these settings and may continue to use them,
resulting in call connection errors.  e.g. Network Manager may request
that the modem uses a particular configuration (e.g. APN / user / pass
configuration), but the modem uses some other remembers settings instead.

I think the NM model is that all the state is stored in NM (for managed
devices).  There is an implicit assumption in the NM design that the
device being managed (a modem via MM in this case) is stateless, but in
this case it isn't, and the violation of this assumption leads to
incorrect behaviour.

If the APIs allows this, MM could provide information to NM on the
current modem configuration state, otherwise MM could remove all saved
state from the modem.

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.