Huawei ME906S: Trying to fix GPS support

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Aug 3 09:01:58 UTC 2020

Hey,

> I am searching for a help to fix the GPS support for my modem Huawei
> ME906S for Lenovo Thinkpad. ModemManager-1.12.6 (and all earlier) GUI
> says that GPS Location is Not supported.
>
> It surely is.

"Not supported" means that at least one of the requirements (MM plugin
support implemented, GPS data port tag available, GPS management
commands available) is not available. In your case, I think you have
several things missing, see below.

> Looking at
> ModemManager/plugins/huawei/mm-broadband-modem-huawei.c, I see that
> AT^WPDGP should turn GPS on. Also the modem AT command reference
> confirms that.
> http://download-c.huawei.com/download/downloadCenter?downloadId=51047&version=120450&siteCode
>
> And indeed, it turns on the GPS:
>
> Here is a protocol from /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
> AT^WPDGP
> OK
> IMGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,140.0,99.0,99.0*26
> $GPRMC,000000.00,V,,,,,,,010712,,,N*78
> $GPGGA,000001.00,,,,,0,00,999.9,,M,,M,,*67

This is a problem; if the TTY port used for NMEA traces is the same
port required to start/stop the GPS engine, ModemManager cannot
currently support it, further development would be needed to support
this case.

> There is a behavior difference between openSUSE Leap 15.0 and 15.2. In
> 15.0, there were 1 to 4 ttyUSB? devices (depending on the modem state)
> and AT^WPDGP had to be sent to ttyUSB0, but NMEA output appeared in ttyUSB3.
> In 15.2, there is only one ttyUSB0. AT^WPDGP is sent to ttyUSB0, and the
> NMEA output appears in ttyUSB0 as well.

What kernel versions were used in 15.0 vs 15.2?

> Output of usb-devices:
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=ff MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  3
> P:  Vendor=12d1 ProdID=15c1 Rev=01.02
> S:  Manufacturer=Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
> S:  Product=HUAWEI Mobile
> S:  SerialNumber=0123456789ABCDEF
> C:  #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 3 Atr=a0 MxPwr=2mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(commc) Sub=0e Prot=00 Driver=cdc_mbim
> I:  If#= 1 Alt= 1 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=02 Driver=cdc_mbim
> I:  If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=06 Prot=14 Driver=option

Your current configuration is the MBIM plus one single AT port, which
is why you only have one ttyUSB0. This means that the Huawei plugin is
running the device in MBIM mode, and in this mode NONE of the
Huawei-specific GPS management commands are being taken into account
(lack of development to make a "MbimHuawei" modem that supports that).
So, the missing piece is the lack of plugin support for this use case.
Although, if the device is Qualcomm-based (it probably is) you should
have had GPS support through QMI over MBIM via the PDS or LOC
services. A debug log could confirm this.

> [...]
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6
>       bInterfaceProtocol     22
>       iInterface             11 CDC Network Data
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
>         bmAttributes            3
>           Transfer Type            Interrupt
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
>         bInterval               5
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x85  EP 5 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        4
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6
>       bInterfaceProtocol     20
>       iInterface             14 Huawei Mobile Connect - Gps
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 00 10 01
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  04 24 02 02
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 01 00 04
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 06 00 00
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x87  EP 7 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x05  EP 5 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        5
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6
>       bInterfaceProtocol     27
>       iInterface             15 Huawei Mobile Connect - Serial B

This configuration above is the one that exposes multiple ttyUSB
ports, including one flagged for GPS.

> [...]
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        4
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6
>       bInterfaceProtocol     18
>       iInterface              9 Huawei Mobile Connect - Pcui
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 00 10 01
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  04 24 02 02
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 01 00 04
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 06 00 00
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        5
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6
>       bInterfaceProtocol     20
>       iInterface             14 Huawei Mobile Connect - Gps
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 00 10 01
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  04 24 02 02
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 01 00 05
>       ** UNRECOGNIZED:  05 24 06 00 00
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x87  EP 7 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x05  EP 5 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        6
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6
>       bInterfaceProtocol     27
>       iInterface             15 Huawei Mobile Connect - Serial B

This configuration above is ECM+AT, including one port flagged as GPS
data as well.

> [...]
>       CDC Header:
>         bcdCDC               1.10
>       CDC MBIM:
>         bcdMBIMVersion       1.00
>         wMaxControlMessage   1024
>         bNumberFilters       32
>         bMaxFilterSize       128
>         wMaxSegmentSize      1500
>         bmNetworkCapabilities 0x20
>           8-byte ntb input size
>       CDC MBIM Extended:
>         bcdMBIMExtendedVersion           1.00
>         bMaxOutstandingCommandMessages     16
>         wMTU                             1500
>       CDC Union:
>         bMasterInterface        0
>         bSlaveInterface         1
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
>         bmAttributes            3
>           Transfer Type            Interrupt
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
>         bInterval               5
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        1
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           0
>       bInterfaceClass        10 CDC Data
>       bInterfaceSubClass      0
>       bInterfaceProtocol      2
>       iInterface             11 CDC Network Data
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        1
>       bAlternateSetting       1
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass        10 CDC Data
>       bInterfaceSubClass      0
>       bInterfaceProtocol      2
>       iInterface             11 CDC Network Data
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>         bInterval               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        2
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6
>       bInterfaceProtocol     20
>       iInterface             14 Huawei Mobile Connect - Gps

And this configuration above is the one you're currently using by
default, MBIM plus one AT port that does both GPS data and control.