(Polkit issue) allowing anyone, or a specific user, to perform actions on Modems

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Feb 2 11:50:52 UTC 2020

Enrico Mioso <mrkiko.rs at gmail.com> writes:

> the subjct says it all! Thanks guys!! :)

Don't know if this is sufficient, but I have this file which I believe
allows any member of the 'netdev' group to manage NM and MM:

root at miraculix:/tmp# cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/42-miraculix.pkla
# $Id: 42-miraculix.pkla,v 1.5 2018/03/22 19:54:49 bjorn Exp $
#
# Configuration file for the PolicyKit Local Authority.
#
# See the pklocalauthority(8) man page for more information
# about configuring the Local Authority.
#

[Network Manager]
Identity=unix-group:netdev
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Modem Manager]
Identity=unix-group:netdev
Action=org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

Using 'Identity=unix-user:*' instead should allow any user.  In theory.
But who knows.  To be honest, I hate the polkit complexity.  Probably
because I have never cared enough to spend the necessary time reading
all the docs and default policy files etc.  But I wonder: Who does that?

Bjørn