Question about dual qmi/mbim modems

Alex Ballmer alexb at meshplusplus.com
Wed Jun 3 19:51:05 UTC 2020

I have noticed that Sierra Wireless MC4755 modems can operate in both
QMI and MBIM modes. Modemmanager seem to try to use the modem as-is in
whatever mode it is currently operating in.

However, some features are only available in QMI mode. In my experience
I could not reset a modem in MBIM mode. It resulted in

mmcli -m 0 -r
error: couldn't reset the modem: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.
ModemManager1.Error.Core.Unsupported: Cannot reset the modem: operation
not supported'

but on QMI mode it worked just fine. Is there a way to automatically
force the modem into QMI mode?