How can I make ModemManager work right?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon May 4 12:29:24 UTC 2020

Hey,

> I retested my linux box with your recommendation and got a log message.
> I attach the log file in this email but I wonder if the attached file can be uploaded to the maillist also..
>
> I used the device path you suggested - "/sys/devices/platform/1a0c0000.usb/usb2/2-1 ".
> And I added "--debug" at the last of command in the file /etc/init.d/modemmanager as shown below:
>
> procd_set_param command /usr/sbin/ModemManager --debug
>
> And I rebooted my linux box and wait some time and got this log file via a command below:
>
> "logread > logread.log"

Looks like the AT port is completely timing out, it may be due to
incorrect serial port settings. But you also have a cdc-wdm port and a
wwan port; is this modem a QMI/MBIM device? What manufacturer/model is
this?

> When I invoke mmcli commands, it spits out an error message:
>
> root at LEDE:~# mmcli -L
> error: couldn't create manager: Timeout was reached
>
> root at LEDE:~# mmcli -m 0
> error: couldn't create manager: Timeout was reached

That is very weird, looks as if the system bus is not working
properly. Does your system have a proper dbus server running? Do you
get those errors in a setup where you don't modify anything?