Quectel EG21 modem QMI connection works but MM fallbacks to ttyUSB2 as primary port

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Nov 26 11:58:13 UTC 2020

"Carl Yin(殷张成)" <carl.yin at quectel.com> writes:

> 	Maybe Rafal is same as me, newbie to the open source world, not clear the rules of open source.
> 	Limited by our technical ability and time, in the past , we never work together with customers to solve issues related to ModemManager
> 	In fact, If the product use ModemManager, the system usually is Ubuntu/Redhat/Yocto, and the kernel version usually is very new.
> 	We will prepare an article about "How Quectel Modems co-work with ModeManager"

This sounds very good!

Note that you can get support for new devices into the mainline drivers
as early as you like, long before those devices are available to
customers.  Just send us a patch and we'll add it.  I rarely need
hardware access to add a device.  I wil just trust any reasonable
request :-)

And if it's a simple new entry in the device-id table, then it will be
automatically backported to all the maintained LTS kernels within a few
weeks.

So you can have full device support in all LTS and mainline kernels by
the time your product is made available to customers.

And please feel free to take up any missing features or technical isues
you might have with the drivers.  I really appreciate the discussion you
had with Daniele and others regarding QMAP buffers.  If I don't
participate much, that's mostly because I don't have much knowledge to
offer on the subject.  But Quectel, Telit, Sierra Wireless and other
Qualcomm customers obviously have. I do hope that you will continue to
provide some insight into the issues you have with qmi_wwan or cdc_mbim
so we can fix them.

Bjørn