Anything like GDestroyNotify in the mm api?

Jessy Exum jessy.diamondman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:00:49 UTC 2020

Thanks again for the reply.

I am aware that with a series of async calls that 'cancellation' as an idea
is questionable. What does it even mean?, etc...

Part of my confusion was running the following (to test cancellation) and
the bearer was still created.

        mm_modem_create_bearer
            (this->peek_modem(),
             props,
             cancellable,
             cb,
             this);
        g_cancellable_cancel (cancellable);

This code was executed in a scheduled task run by the glib event loop, and
all of the code ran in the same iteration of the event loop. I expected
that the bearer creation logic would start in the next event loop
iteration, but now I see that the mm_modem_create_bearer call immediately
instructs MM to start creating the bearer, so by the time the next line of
my code is executed, it is too late to stop the creation. This is fine, and
I can deal with an extra bearer that I have to clean up later.

The real issue that is leading me through all of these tests is improving
my understanding of lifecycles when working with async MM functions. I want
to make sure that there is no possible scenario where I destroy one of my
C++ objects that tracks a MMModem, in the destructor I cancel and unref the
cancellable, the object is deleted, and then a callback comes through with
the user_data set to my freed object and I get a use after free. But it is
likely that this will just require me doing some more reading and
experimentation. If you know any good practices to prevent these kinds of
use after free issues, I would greatly appreciate any links or suggestions.
(And thanks for not minding me changing the topic).

Jessy Diamond Exum