Instantiating rmnet devices for data ports on QRTR-based modems

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Oct 15 16:35:34 UTC 2020

Hey!

> As part of the QRTR integration into MM we're trying to figure out
> whose responsibility it is to make rmnet_data net interfaces for a
> QRTR/IPA-based modem. I had started an MR[1] that gave this
> responsibility to libqmi, but it's not clear this is the right place
> for this to go.

Thanks for bringing this to the list, I hope we can get several points
of view on the topic.

> If we leave it in libqmi, then ModemManager has to do very little
> extra setup: it can just grab the mux ID from the QmiDevice and push
> it to the modem via Bind Mux Data Port in the connect step[2]. The
> QmiDevice can also cache the interface name it selected when creating
> the net port to return from reload_wwan_iface.

Ok.

> However, delegating it to MM also works. I think that the conceptual
> design is cleaner here as interacting with netlink to create
> interfaces isn't really something that makes a ton of sense to leave
> in libqmi.

Yes, that is something I suggested we should avoid.

> It does mean that MM will have to instantiate net ports and
> then assign the mux ID to the QmiDevice, and then set it again in the
> Bind Mux Data Port message, which leaves room for those potentially
> getting out of sync.

Why would this not be a problem in the case of having everything in
libqmi? because you already know the mux ID in the QmiDevice and it
would be "automatically" set in the Bind Mux Data Port TLV? Not sure I
like that, and not sure if I'm understanding that flow correctly. The
potential out of sync operation would also happen in the case of
having everything in libqmi. But I don't think that's a great issue
really, we can probably have proper logic to handle all that.

> It also means that under more generalized
> operation (where we don't necessarily follow the rmnet_dataX = mux ID
> X+1 convention[3]) we'd still need to use netlink from libqmi to fetch
> all of the rmnet interfaces and inspect their mux ID properties to
> find a match when performing reload_wwan_iface.

The need to have the proper network interface loaded by
reload_wwan_iface(), if not using sysfs, is low. Yes, we do have that
API in the library, and yes that API currently works perfectly with
qmi_wwan and sysfs, but if you ask me, there is not much purpose for
that netlink based generic logic otherwise.

> (On an abstract level,
> this seems as valid a use for netlink for libqmi as it is valid for
> libqmi to crawl sysfs for net interface details. But it does increase
> the total complexity of the code, since MM and libqmi are essentially
> exchanging information through the kernel.)

Your point comparing the sysfs crawling vs netlink makes sense. It's
one of the only places where libqmi does something other than plain
QMI protocol operations, and we did that to allow nicer qmicli
actions. In the case of MM, we're using that sysfs crawling inside
libqmi only when MM calls qmi_device_set_expected_data_format()
though, that is the only place where reload_wwan_iface_name() is run.
>From MM's point of view there is no need to find what net interface
applies to a given QMI control port, but we already do the opposite,
looking for what control port applies to a given net port. If MM is
going to instantiate the network interfaces itself, there's also not
much point on having libqmi look for the interface associated to a
QmiDevice; as we already know it in advance.

> One thing that we'll have to consider in the future, though not right
> now, is how each design works with multiple PDN operation -- I think
> the design implied by the libqmi MR[1] makes this difficult, but
> libqmi also seems to make the assumption that we only associate each
> device with one net port anyway, so we may have to unwind that
> assumption no matter what. The design where MM instantiates net ports
> might not run into this issue in so many places.

The connection logic in MM is always based on looking for an "unused
net port" and then looking for the matching control port that can get
that net port connected. In the case of QRTR/IPA, there is a "master"
network interface already and we instantiate new network interfaces on
demand for each new connection that we want to make. I think this
instantiation would make sense inside MM; but see my last comment.

> [1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/libqmi/-/merge_requests/135
> [2] https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/modemmanager-next/+/dbee3f23a9c27d8bf3f5e634dabb41ef856867f8
> [3] This convention was alluded to by QC, but there's no magic in it
> and a user could easily break this with two invocations of the "ip"
> command, which might cause some tricky bugs. So I don't know that we
> should try to keep the convention, and instead just find any open
> rmnet_dataX and mux ID and link those together.

If it doesn't cost us much, I don't see why we wouldn't follow the
same convention, although not a strong opinion.

So overall, my opinion is that instantiating the network interfaces on
demand by ModemManager would make most sense, especially since it
involves adding a new dependency on librmnetctl. I don't know if this
librmnetctl has a "cli" though, something qmicli users could use to
perform the same instantiation required to bring up the connection
when MM is not used; is there something like that already? If there is
some cli already, I would definitely suggest to take the MM
integration.

If there is no cli that qmicli users can use to instantiate the
network interfaces, maybe the integration within libqmi would make
sense, to be able to provide qmicli users with a complete solution.
Although extending librmnetctl to implement a proper CLI there could
also make more sense. My feel is that libqmi should be the last
option, if there are other viable ones.

One last thing regarding this integration, is that it looks like there
is no "official" single librmnetctl release. That is something to
solve out of MM/libqmi, unless we want to "incorporate" such a library
within our sources and just use some given snapshot of it. Or just run
the netlink operations ourselves.