ModemManager Process is shutting down

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Oct 16 06:48:15 UTC 2020

> ModemManager 1.10.8 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS.
> Sierra Wireless EM74xx modem
>
> I had a test where I set the APN as invalid in the modem.
> After a few hours, the ModemManager daemon restarted owing to the
> following error.
>
> dbus[1001]: [system] Activating via systemd: service
> name='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1'
> unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service'
> dbus[1001]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit
> 'dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service': Unit
> dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service not found.
>
> Though the dbus file is present.
>
> Can you let me know on what could possibly be the issue here ?

Ie that message a real indication of MM restarting?

Is MM kept stopped? Or is it started at some point?

I think we need more context, more logs before and after, to try to
understand that better.

I think those messages just mean that someone attempted to start MM via
DBus activation, and IIRC that is not something enabled by default when
using systemd. I.e. it is systemd itself the one restarting MM if it
crashed, not the MM users via DBus activation.