Instantiating rmnet devices for data ports on QRTR-based modems

Eric Caruso ejcaruso at google.com
Mon Oct 19 13:10:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 3:57 AM Aleksander Morgado
<aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:

> Hey,

> > > Why do you say QRTR is not a good idea? Isn't QMI over QRTR the only way to
> > > handle the communication in certain setups?
> > [carl.yin] 1. QRTR codes is much complex than direct send QMI message via QMI channel like /dev/cdc-wdm0
> >                 And it is not easy to find real hardware device for the QTRT node.
> >                 No matter the hardware interface between AP and Qualcomm modem is USB/PCIE/SMD,
> >                 (SMD is for QUALCOMM inter-AP, like MDM, APQ,MSM chipset.)
> >                 There always have QMI channel can be used to send QMI message.
> >                 If use these QMI channel, very few modifies is need apply to libqmi and MM
>
> I cannot comment on this, probably @Eric Caruso has a better point of view.

Right, we are working with a modem that does not have a real hardware
device in sysfs at all. It operates over a bus that is
sort-of-but-not-exactly PCIe and QRTR is the only mechanism by which
we can talk to it. I think the part where there is always another QMI
channel (USB/PCIe/SMD) should be true as long as you are using a
discrete module, otherwise.

-Eric