Detecting Dual SIM on EM7455

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Apr 7 09:31:06 UTC 2021

Hey,

> [...]
>> >            |                          slot 2: none
>> >
>> > After running mmcli -m 0 --set-primary-sim-slot=2
>> >
>> >   -----------------------------------
>> >   SIM      |        primary sim path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/2
>> >            |          sim slot paths: slot 1: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/1
>> >            |                          slot 2: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/2 (active)
>> >
>> > The modem did not reset because AT!IMPREF="GENERIC" was set, the modem did re-enumerate in modemanager, however.
>> >

>> Could you run this qmicli command on the EM7455 after boot?
>> $ qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --uim-get-card-status
>> $ qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 -p --uim-get-slot-status
>

> root at test:~# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 -p --uim-get-card-status
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Successfully got card status
> Provisioning applications:
> Primary GW:   slot '1', application '1'
> Primary 1X:   session doesn't exist
> Secondary GW: session doesn't exist
> Secondary 1X: session doesn't exist
> Slot [1]:
> Card state: 'present'
> UPIN state: 'not-initialized'
> UPIN retries: '0'
> UPUK retries: '0'
> Application [1]:
> Application type:  'usim (2)'
> Application state: 'ready'
> Application ID:
> A0:00:00:00:87:10:02:FF:FF:FF:FF:89:06:19:00:00
> Personalization state: 'ready'
> UPIN replaces PIN1: 'no'
> PIN1 state: 'disabled'
> PIN1 retries: '3'
> PUK1 retries: '10'
> PIN2 state: 'enabled-not-verified'
> PIN2 retries: '10'
> PUK2 retries: '10'
> Application [2]:
> Application type:  'isim (5)'
> Application state: 'detected'
> Application ID:
> A0:00:00:00:87:10:04:FF:FF:FF:FF:89:07:03:00:00
> Personalization state: 'unknown'
> UPIN replaces PIN1: 'no'
> PIN1 state: 'not-initialized'
> PIN1 retries: '0'
> PUK1 retries: '0'
> PIN2 state: 'not-initialized'
> PIN2 retries: '0'
> PUK2 retries: '0'
> Slot [2]:
> Card state: 'absent'
> UPIN state: 'not-initialized'
> UPIN retries: '0'
> UPUK retries: '0'
> root at test:~# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 -p --uim-get-slot-status
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Successfully got slots status
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] 2 physical slots found:
>   Physical slot 1:
>      Card status: present
>      Slot status: inactive
>            ICCID: unknown
>   Physical slot 2:
>      Card status: present
>      Slot status: active
>     Logical slot: 1
>            ICCID: 8901260882270113639
>
> This is after reboot where Slot 2 as the active slot before reboot (I had just rebooted with that SIM active while debugging).

Could you please test showing the failed case where, upon boot,
--uim-get-card-status shows one single SIM instead of two?

>> My assumption is that you're seeing one single SIM reported because
>> --uim-get-slot-status reports one single SIM. BUT, does
>> --uim-get-card-status report 2 SIMs? ModemManager currently ignores
>> the 2nd SIM in --uim-get-card-status, because in this case both SIMs
>> are really active (unlike the slot status case). Right now MM doesn't
>> support the Dual SIM Dual Active case, although it shouldn't be very
>> difficult to support that (e.g. selecting which SIM will use the data
>> connection done via the GW provisioning session selection and such).
>>
>> So when you manually toggle to select the 2nd SIM we're using
>> --uim-switch-slot and the setup switches to Dual SIM Single Active, so
>> the slots status ends up reporting 2 SIMs now (and card status would
>> report 1 single SIM).
>>
>> Is this assumption in track? If it isn't, it could be some timing
>> issue of some sort, MM debug logs would help.
>

> After switching:
> root at test:~# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 -p --uim-switch-slot=1
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Successfully switched slots
> root at test:~# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 -p --uim-get-slot-status
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Successfully got slots status
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] 2 physical slots found:
>   Physical slot 1:
>      Card status: present
>      Slot status: active
>     Logical slot: 1
>            ICCID: 89860000502000180722
>   Physical slot 2:
>      Card status: present
>      Slot status: inactive
>            ICCID: 8901260882270113639
>
> From this, it appears that it may be more of an issue with libqmi than anything else. Maybe not even an issue but the behavior seems to be it will "cache" information for the active SIM and retain that information when the other sim is active.

There is absolutely no cache in libqmi, the qmicli commands just print
what the modem replies :) If anything, it would be an issue in the
modem firmware itself.

I still would like to see --uim-get-card-status and
--uim-get-slot-status for the failing case, i.e. booting and the slot
status reporting one single SIM even if there are 2.