problems with QMI dual stack connections from MM - works with qmicli

Reinhard Speyerer rspmn at arcor.de
Tue Apr 27 11:21:49 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 06:23:01PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> writes:
>
> > Sorry, i do not think these issues are related to ModemManager at all.
>
> This is a test from freshly booted modem, MM not running:
>
> [...]
> root at finn:~# qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --client-no-release-cid --client-cid=17 --wds-start-network=apn=telenor,ip-type=4
> error: couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed'
> call end reason (1): generic-unspecified
> verbose call end reason (2,236): [internal] call-already-present
> [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Client ID not released:
>         Service: 'wds'
>             CID: '17'
> root at finn:~# qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --client-no-release-cid --client-cid=17 --wds-start-network=apn=internet.public,ip-type=4
> error: couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed'
> call end reason (1): generic-unspecified
> verbose call end reason (2,236): [internal] call-already-present
> [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Client ID not released:
>         Service: 'wds'
>             CID: '17'
> [...]
>
> I don't think there is much MM can do here.  This modem firmware does
> not work properly with QMAP muxing.  Sorry about the confusion I've
> caused by assuming this would work.
>
> Unless I am missing something in the sequence above?

Hi Bjørn,

I'm not sure about the qmap5 vs. qmap part but assuming that none of
the "problematic" APNs matches the APN assigned to the default bearer
for EPS attach I would expect for this to be the correct QMI sequence
to use.

Can you crosscheck with AT+CGDCONT? and AT+CGACT? whether the corresponding
contexts are really active on the UE as the QMI error suggests? If they are
the next step would perhaps be to check AT+QMBNCFG="List" for a Telenor
profile and the AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel" setting in case you are still using the
Quectel RM502Q for testing this.

Regards,
Reinhard