Can't connect using ModemManager when modem is in QMI mode

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Dec 1 10:14:44 UTC 2021

Hey Jeff,

> I'm running a Sierra Wireless MC7455 modem with SWI9X30C_02.32.11.00 r8042 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 firmware. Using ModemManager 1.18.2 on Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> I can get the modem to connect using mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect=. when the modem is in MBIM mode.
> I can get the modem to connect using qmicli and qmi-network when the modem is in QMI mode.
>
> But when I use mmcli with ModemManager, --simple-connect fails with
>
>     error: couldn't connect the modem: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Cancelled: operation cancelled'

Oh, that is very strange.

> What is strange is that the modem seems to create a default bearer channel when it is enabled. Using simple-connect seems to create a second bearer channel which is rejected. But using -connect on the default bearer channel also fails.

The default bearer when enabled is the "initial EPS default bearer".
In ModemManager, this is an informative bearer object exclusively, you
cannot use it to trigger a connection. When simple connect creates the
new bearer, that's the one that should end up connected.

> Using simple connect results in two bearers.
>
> root at de-01:~# mmcli -m 1 --simple-connect='apn=broadband'
> error: couldn't connect the modem: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Cancelled: operation cancelled'

This is what we need to understand. Could you gather MM daemon debug
logs while you attempt this simple-connect operation?
https://modemmanager.org/docs/modemmanager/debugging/