ANN: ModemManager 1.18.4 released

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Dec 3 10:28:32 UTC 2021

Hey,

> Aleksander Morgado wrote on Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 11:02:12AM +0100:
> > I'll give it some time before a new release I think; this issue should
> > affect openwrt only, and there was no bump to 1.18.4 there yet.
>
> I've missed why these udev rules should only affect openwrt?
> procd doesn't parse patterns the same way as udev/eudev do? it seems to
> be globbing is fairly standard from the links you pointed at in the
> commit message?

procd doesn't parse those rules when in openwrt; it's ModemManager
itself the one doing that.

> If that is indeed specific to openwrt I think that's fine, they can
> probably pick a single patch easily.

The fix in the udev rule is to avoid treating the pattern as a regex
while it really is a shell globbing pattern. For non-openwrt
distributions that was not an issue, the matches were still happening
even if the pattern given was not exactly what we thought. For openwrt
this was an issue, because the changes done in the custom udev parsing
rules during 1.18.4 couldn't handle the pattern properly. So, I just
simplified the udev rule pattern, which still will work when using the
real udev, but which also makes it work properly with the custom udev
parsing logic.