ModemManager[178]: <warn> Reloading stats failed: Couldn't get packet statistics: QMI protocol error (15): 'OutOfCall'

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Jul 27 09:52:06 UTC 2021

Hey,

> we are experiencing connection hangs without recovery (seems like a failed handover or similar) with the following log entry:
> ModemManager[178]: <warn>  Reloading stats failed: Couldn't get packet statistics: QMI protocol error (15): 'OutOfCall'
>
> There was a patch "bearer-qmi: detect disconnections when loading stats" proposed  byAleksander Morgado on Tue Sep 5 20:26:13 UTC 2017 but it doesn't seem to have been accepted...

I recall that patch, but I don't recall why it was not merged. I think
there was a good reason not to merge it though :)

> Has this been fixed in the meantime?
>
> We are currently using ModemManger 12.10.

There have been fixes after that, yes, a lot of them. I can point you
to one that was fixed in 1.14.0 that would show the exact same
symptoms you're seeing:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/155

The 1.12.x series is fully unsupported, the 1.14.x series still
receives some fixes in the mm-1-14 git branch but not new releases are
expected, the latest 1.16.x series is the currently supported one. And
1.18.0 will happen soon. I definitely suggest to upgrade to something
newer, 1.16.x if possible.