Multiple APNs

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Sat May 22 20:26:55 UTC 2021

Hey!

> I own a Pinephone under Mobian, I use Phosh. I'd like to test the experimental MMS support but my mobile operator uses one APN for Internet and another one for MMS, which is something common in France and in some other European countries. When do you plan to provide a stable version supporting this? Please note that some end users asking for MMS support are in the same situation than me and I'm a daily user of this phone since November. Is there a patch I can apply to test the support of multiple APNs in ModemManager?

The support for connecting multiple PDNs over one single network
interface is already available in MM git master. If you sync your
build to point to git master, you'll be able to play with that. The
way to test it would be to let NM connect the normal internet APN, and
then you manually run "mmcli --simple-connect" with the settings for
the MMS APN, and then you configure the newly created network
interface with the settings reported by the MM bearer object. You
would also need to manually configure routes to the MMSC through that
newly created interface, and all that.

But please note that Dylan (in CC) has already been testing MM git
master on the Pinephone (with postmarketos) and found some issues with
the data traffic performance, which seem to be related to a wrong
QMAP/rmnet setup, see
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/367
I still have to debug that problem.