[RFC] Roadmap for 1.18

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Sun May 23 00:42:07 UTC 2021

Hey all,

The development cycle for 1.18 has been very busy; a lot of new APIs
have landed, and a lot of new features (PCI modem support, QRTR for
Qualcom SoCs, Profile management APIs, multi PDN support in
QMI/MBIM...). There is still one big missing thing to include, the
quicker suspend/resume enablement, which the people at postmarketos
are already testing, will probably get merged soon in this next week.

I'd like to ask at this point, if anyone has any additional big
feature being prepared (e.g. new APIs or big changes). If you have
any, please let everyone know in the mailing list, and we can discuss
whether we include them or postpone them. I'm e.g. thinking on the SAR
APIs that some people have been working on but have been stalled for a
while now.

My suggestion at this point would be to not merge any new big feature
(except for the quicker suspend/resume) until MM 1.18 is released, and
give git master at least a couple of months to get more stable (i.e.
only bugfixes and new device support updates).

We could also have a separate "next" branch for the new stuff not
going to 1.18, but not sure I like the idea, unless someone wants to
help maintaining all this :D

Comments welcome!

Cheers!