About network configuration with mobile broadband

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed May 26 08:00:34 UTC 2021

Hey

>     To setup the network configuration with mobile broadband, most of my survey advise to use NetworkManager or pppd. But I'm wondering if it is feasible to use ifconfig/iwconfig to setup the network connection with mobile broadband or not. Could you give me some advice?

ModemManager only controls the modem and puts it in "connected" mode,
it does not setup the network interface associated to that connection.
If you don't want to use NetworkManager (which would be doing
everything for you) you can always connect the modem only with
ModemManager (using e.g. mmcli --simple-connect) and once it's
connected, check the bearer settings reported in the bearer object
path (e.g. mmcli -b 0):
 * If the bearer settings say IP method "dhcp" you should run a DHCP
client on the network interface.
 * If the bearer settings say IP method "static" you should manually
configure with ifconfig/iproute2 the network interface with the IP
settings reported.
 * If the bearer settings say IP method "ppp" you should manually run
pppd on the TTY specified in the bearer settings.

Using NetworkManager directly avoids needing to do all that manual setup.