No modems found in list command after scan

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu May 27 09:10:57 UTC 2021

Hey Brian,

>      Thanks for your reply. I will check your advice. In addition, I find that MM only show the primary AT port of the LTE module.
> Is that related to the without-udev or without-libqmi? I have tried to add the other ports to MM, but MM still only show the ttyUSB2(at).
> mmcli --report-kernel-event="action=add,subsystem=tty,name=ttyUSB2"
> mmcli --report-kernel-event="action=add,subsystem=tty,name=ttyUSB0"
> mmcli --report-kernel-event="action=add,subsystem=tty,name=ttyUSB1"
> mmcli --report-kernel-event="action=add,subsystem=tty,name=ttyUSB3"
> mmcli --report-kernel-event="action=add,subsystem=tty,name=ttyUSB4"
> mmcli --report-kernel-event="action=add,subsystem=usbmisc,name=cdc-wdm0"

If you built using --without-qmi and you're trying to add a QMI
cdc-wdm port, well, obviously that won't work. If you need to use QMI
ports, build using QMI support.

Regarding the missing TTYs, please note that you need to be extremely
quick running the --report-kernel-event operations. You cannot add
ttyUSB2, then wait 10s, then attempt to add ttyUSB0. The time in
between --report-kernel-events must be less than 1.5s IIRC. This mmcli
action is thought to be run with some kind of kernel event integration
(e.g. as in openwrt with hotplug scripts).

Also, please note that if you add a TTY, and the protocol probing of
the TTY fails, the port will also be ignored.

My suggestion at this point, given that you're using your own custom
built system, is to run ModemManager with debug logs enabled, so that
you can see what happens during your testing. Please see
https://modemmanager.org/docs/modemmanager/debugging/#when-not-using-systemd