text mode SMS

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Nov 9 10:59:20 UTC 2021

Hey,

> is there an option to make ModemManager send SMS in text mode? I'm aware that PDU mode ist by far preferred but we have to send SMS to an older system that is unable to process SMS in PDU mode.

For AT based devices, the support for PDU mode is checked with
AT+CMGF=?, and if PDU mode is supported, it will be preferred over
text mode. At this moment there is no way to force using text mode,
but I guess we could have e.g. a udev tag to trigger the modified
behavior (e.g. ID_MM_AT_SMS_TEXT_MODE_PREFERRED), as we do for other
features (e.g. ID_MM_QMI_CONNECTION_STATUS_POLLING_ENABLE).
Patches welcome :)