AJ OpenWRt connection manager

Enrico Mioso mrkiko.rs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 21:15:44 UTC 2021

Hello all!!

This is AJ, my second attept at building a program that may help connecting and keeping consistently connected an OpenWRt device, or any Linux device running ModemManager.
The idea is to keep all modems in the system connected as they where configured.
The software shouldn't do many things, but do them consistently.
Bearer creation and deletion is not handled in the software, even tough it won't be complete until an OpenWRt helper script / protocol handler are available.
In OpenWRt, AJ may run as a procd instance. Testing hasn't been yet performed. The objective is for AJ to become ujail-enabled.

What it does:
For each modem exposed by ModemManager, this software:
1 - Connects all present bearers, and keeps them connected.
2 - Invokes an helper program (i.e.: currently a script) to perform required openwrt setup.

I would like to know your opinion on whether this software is useful, and would appreciate very much your comments.
This should be considered in early development stage, so there are surely various things to improve.
The codebase is still small.

Enrico

P.S.: AJ stands for AirJoin. :) I named it inspiring myself to ZTE Join Air, it made me smile and remember the times where I played with my first GSM/UMTS dongles.