Sierra Wireless EM9191: No AT port

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Oct 29 18:50:37 UTC 2021

Hey!

> I have a successful internet connection with mmcli, but there is no AT port. So I cannot send AT commands.
>
>   Hardware |             manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
>            |                    model: Sierra Wireless EM9191
>
>   System   |                   device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-5
>            |                  drivers: cdc_mbim
>            |                   plugin: sierra
>            |             primary port: cdc-wdm0
>            |                    ports: cdc-wdm0 (mbim), wwan0 (net)
>
> Do you have any idea why?

There's no entry in the qcserial kernel driver for the AT ports in
that module. A couple of weeks ago I sent for inclusion the EM9191 TTY
exposed during firmware upgrade, which has its own vid:pid, but I
didn't even try to add the missing entries for the TTYs in normal
non-upgrade mode. Patches to the kernel welcome :) It should really be
a one-liner patch.

P.S. libqmi/qmi-firmware-update git master implements support for
upgrading firmware on this module just fine