ANN: ModemManager 1.18.6 released

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Feb 11 23:02:36 UTC 2022

Hey,

> is the below version detects the modem without udev
>
> ModemManager 1.18.6

No ModemManager version will automatically detect modems if it is
built without udev; not 1.18.6 and not any other version. If you want
to have ModemManager autodecting devices and your system supports
udev, you must build with udev support. A different story is if the
system you're working on doesn't support udev, like openwrt; in tha
case you would build without udev support and rely on the openwrt
hotplug scripts integration provided by the ModemManager packaging in
openwrt.

> and one more question, is this version has the Qualcomm SDX65 support ?

The Qualcomm SDX65 support, as far as I know, requires the modem to be
controlled via QRTR channels *even* if it's an external PCIe module.
ModemManager does not support this yet, because the kernel doesn't
provide yet a way to associate a given QRTR channel with a given
network interface. There is a merge request from Qualcomm that hacks
around support for the SDX65 in the qcom-soc plugin, but that is a
one-device-only hack that didn't get merged in MM. The correct
solution for this problem is to have the kernel tell us somehow the
relationship between QRTR channels and modem network interfaces in
PCIe modules. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/merge_requests/653#note_1166945