Extending OpenWRt ModemManager protocol handler

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Jan 10 14:04:51 UTC 2022

On 1/10/22 9:00 AM, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> Hey,

> That's not really true, because that timeout is bound to the max time
> required by ModemManager to probe the AT/QMI/MBIM ports, which I
> believe is close to those 45s max per port (in parallel). Having an
> infinite loop there doesn't help, as that max time required by MM is
> not arbitrary, that's why I suggested incresing the timeout value;
> maybe some of the ports take up to 45s to probe and we just need a
> longer timeout when detecting the modem in DBus.

Honestly, I'm a bit tired of these around and around debates with you. I think
you like to argue a bit too much, and it's off-putting in trying to contribute.

Let's be very clear here - there are situations that ModemManager/netifd
will simply timeout and then no longer attempt any connection. This was
a serious problem for us that it took a long time to find.  This is the
fix I came up with which resolves that.  I reported this early last year
and it was dismissed.

If you want to argue the mechanism, or do a better fix, then fine. But
this is a very real problem.