ANN: ModemManager 1.18.4 released / Avoiding PPP

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Fri Jan 14 11:28:54 UTC 2022

On 1/14/22 4:28 AM, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> Hey Peter,

> For a quick workaround in your case, can you try modifying
> EXTRA_PROBING_TIME_MSECS in mm-plugin-manager.c and change it from
> 1500 to something bigger like e.g. 3000 or 4000?
>
> There's one thing clear though; the longer timeout should not be
> applied by default, as that would impose an extra wait time that is
> not needed in most cases. I think we can make this more specific to
> setups like yours, e.g. making the longer timeout happen only for
> openwrt setups (when udev is not available) and also maybe applicable
> only during MM daemon startup (e.g. if the port addition happened in
> the first 10s of the MM daemon startup, allow a bigger extra probing
> time). What do you think?

Yes, I will try this and look at some of the typical timings and see
if something else is going on as an interim fix.

However, it may always be the case that any timeout isn't "long enough";
it's still critical to me that for my application I don't fall through to
PPP; this needs to be failure case that I get notified about.

It might be in the end that changes in detection assumptions are made,
or that we have an option to strip PPP entirely from the build.