ANN: ModemManager 1.18.4 released / Avoiding PPP

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Fri Jan 14 14:18:11 UTC 2022

On 1/14/22 9:01 AM, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> Hey,
>

> So removing the timing logic is not possible; but why not add an
> extremely longer value that will definitely be safe? E.g. why not set
> EXTRA_PROBING_TIME_MSECS  to 60000 to make it wait up to 1 minute in
> between port additions in the same device? Well, if we wait so long,
> the modem won't be exposed in DBus during all that time, so it's a
> delay we introduce arbitrarily. Adjusting that timing to a safe enough
> value needs to be considered.

No. and this is my annoyance with "waiting" in general, and this issue
specifically that I've repeated here many times already. There is no
value which is "long enough".

An arbitrarily high value is going to cause problems, but it must be
long enough that it's caught most of the time.

*BUT* if there's some situation where there's a disconnect, external
reset or other condition where the second port is not detected or it's
simply taking "too long", (and I promise you, such situations can and
do occur), then falling back to PPP is not any kind of solution, ever.

> There would be multiple ways to do that; you could modify
> mm_base_modem_organize_ports() so that it errors out when the data
> port is a TTY;

I guess I will attempt that.

> It really depends on what you expect to happen when PPP is assumed to be the
> only data connection mode available.

Maye it's your English, but I don't want to get to this assumption. It's too
late at that point.

Like I said, pretty tired of arguing this point.