ANN: ModemManager 1.18.4 released / Avoiding PPP

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Jan 14 15:29:44 UTC 2022

Hey Peter,

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 4:14 PM Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:

> On 1/14/22 10:09 AM, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> logic is not going to change.
> >
> > If MM detects a single TTY port, it's going to default to use PPP.
> > It's not a fallback to PPP, it's using whatever it has for data
> > connection, if PPP is the only way forward, PPP will be.
>
> I don't want PPP, ever.  I don't know how many times I can repeat
> that.  Please stop saying this and arguing with me about it.

I know you don't want PPP in your setup, you have made that clear. I'm
not arguing with you about that. I get it. You don't want PPP.

Now, the way to fix that should be by making sure ModemManager gets
notified of the QMI/NET port before it creates a modem object only
with TTY ports. I understand that you don't like this approach, but
ModemManager doesn't receive a fixed list of ports to work with, as
many other modem management setups. MM tries to dynamically adjust to
what it finds, and that is a core feature of ModemManager that is not
going to change.

So again, and don't hate me for repeating this, if MM gets notified of
one single AT capable TTY port and nothing else, it will default to
use PPP. If you don't like that, please patch your ModemManager to fit
your needs. Or try moving to uqmi, which requires you to specify which
is the cdc-wdm port path explicitly, although that approach has its
own problems, but maybe not the ones you're worried about.