ANN: ModemManager 1.18.4 released / Avoiding PPP

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Wed Jan 19 13:45:00 UTC 2022

On 1/18/22 11:04 AM, Dan Williams wrote:

> What's your desired error state when detection fails? Just mark the
> whole modem as failed, and you'd have some custom logic to twiddle
> modem power and/or reboot the machine?

I don't know the ins and outs of the error mechanism, so you tell me -
but what's there already seems sufficient.  That is, the loop in the
netfid scripts (as per my earlier patch).  Failing that, our system
will eventually power cycle the modem on no connectivity.

This can happen already of course; I don't know what the current
thinking on this is.  As you say:

"I'd just expose the modem as failed and let the
admin/framework/whatever handle it by power-cycling the modem or
machine. If we didn't expose it then it would be more complicated with
timeouts or something on whatever is above MM."

 > Yeah, clearly if we can fix or work around slow probing, that's
 > preferable.

But there is no 100% fix. Certainly we can and should improve the
probing and I'm happy to test that.  But with the PPP code in place,
there's always going to be a code path where things didn't work
out quite right with timing, or some error condition was triggered
or whatever that will fall through.

I don't have the luxury for waiting for improvement here, nor can
I risk putting code in the field which might do this, no matter
how tiny the chance, hence the removal of the PPP code entirely as
a config option. I'm certainly not advocating stripping such
support; that would be foolish.