QCDM Switch to all modems?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Jul 1 09:23:28 UTC 2022

Hey Matheus,

> I'm new to ModemManager dev and I'm wondering if there is already any switch or feature that allows to disable any port to be used as diag port (qcdm).
>
> The reason is that I'm trying to use the diag port separately from another program and ModemManager is interfering with it when opening such a port. Or do we need to always modify udev rules for this?
>
> I'm using Simcom SIM8202G-2M by the way.

That behavior changed in git main branch not very long ago. See:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/commit/d6203265c2e38dc50fc7f8b3c2ce85b55937e0a4
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/commit/473c41dc634c9da36a1ef355f14e89cec265b6e6

With those changes in, only very specific plugins will trigger the
port probing in QCDM, those that may really require the protocol to
manage the modem. For all the other plugins, the QCDM ports will still
be tagged as being QCDM, but ModemManager will not do anything with
those, not even port probing, so you should be able to use them with a
third party app in order to gather traces or whatever any other thing
you need.