SMS list different between mmcli and AT commands

Matthew Via via at matthewvia.info
Thu Jul 21 12:29:29 UTC 2022

Thank you for you response.

> We have seen this behavior in the past due to suspend/resume.
> The EG25-G modem in these devices does not send QMI messages in some
> cases when resuming. However, it does send AT URCs for it in a reliable
> way. ModemManager was modified back then to use both sources as a
> trigger to retrieve your SMS from the modem. To locate this issue, we
> should have usbmon logs and ModemManager logs when this problem
> happens. If you supply such logs, please scrub them from any personal
> information such as phone numbers, text content, IMEI, equipment IDs,
> etc.
>
> To get the logs in postmarketOS, we have a troubleshooting guide [1].
> You could probably apply similiar things to Mobian.
>
> Kind regards,
> Dylan
>
> [1] https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Modem#Troubleshooting

I will try to get these logs, but this is something that happens to me only maybe a few times a week.  Keeping the modemmanager logs in debug mode consistently is easy enough, but is there any advice for how to usb capture indefinitely?

However, I am still unclear on the issue, and this is certainly just my ignorance around QMI.  I understand this explanation for why I would miss messages when they arrive, but is that the only way MM will ever receive indication of a new message? I would have thought it would try to reconcile the state of the modem on startup at least.  Otherwise this would imply to me that just having MM stopped, or some other failure modes where the notification itself gets missed, would result in never receiving a message, even when its clearly visible as unread via the AT commands.  The list of SMS's I pasted spans a month and dozens of reboots, and even across installations of an OS -- would MM never be aware of those messages?

Thanks, Matthew